Monday, April 20, 2009

Worst Market Day in Six Weeks

I know a lot of market participants have been looking for this break long before today. My sense has been that they are wrong and the market recovery in the six weeks through Friday can carry a long way, surprise everyone, and ruin the bears' year as the prices will be set by investors looking beyond the current recession earnings trough. At the moment, I am holding on to that view. But I can be persuaded that I am wrong, and switch my position accordingly.

Recently I have had correspondence with Professor Christopher Mayer of Columbia Business School, regarding his Mayer-Hubbard Plan and my Household Initiative Plan. He says he has been in Washington lately and senses a real loss of momentum for all these plans. I think you can generalize that. There has been a loss of momentum for all the administration's economic schemes as they have had other things on their plates such as foreign summitry, stem cells research, climate change, torture memos, and so on and so forth. Also, Congress has been on Easter recess. It may be a coincidence that the market took a swan dive on the day Congress returned and the administration held its first cabinet meeting. But on the other hand it may not -- market participants have ample cause for concern about the administration of the TARP, the independence of the Federal Reserve, the possibility that Ben Bernanke is not reappointed, and the dawning realization of the scale and scope of the budget deficit to come. And with government back in full domestic operation, players may be pricing that in, and the previous six weeks could turn out to have been a pleasant holiday from hard reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment